I was excited and inspired by the conversation I had last week with my teammate about spelling. To share with each other this week as we’ve put the investigations into practice has been even better. Similarly to the punctuation studies I’ve done over the years, kiddos figure out all sorts of amazing things when you get out of the way and let them discover!
We began with a story about names. As I had talked with Mitzi, my teammate, she started telling me about how they had decided to spelled her new grandson’s name, explaining the rationale behind the combination of letters and connections between his first/last name. It made me remember doing the same thing when we chose how to spell my daughter, Allison’s name (Allison, Alison, Allyson; should it be Allie, Ally, Ali for a nickname–it was hard work!), and it became clear that this would be how we could introduce the investigation to our kiddos, too.
After I told Allison’s story, I showed them that thinking with my name…
…and then we tried it together with Grant’s:
By this point I think they knew what I was going to say was next (and they were excited to do so), and so I gave them the invitation to try their own name. We talked about how it was easy to see the different sounds/chunks/letters when we did it in different colors, and we talked about the kind of paper to use, but beyond that, they had free reign to find whatever they could. Before releasing them, though, I made sure to help them see our purpose as I asked this question: How does knowing about our names help us become better readers and writers? Some kids worked alone, and some talked to their friends while they worked. Whatever they chose to do, everyone investigated their names. 🙂
The room was abuzz with conversation and electricity as they worked, asking questions, making suggestions and trying things out with their names or their friends’. By the end of the first day, everyone had found some pretty interesting things about how their names work.
On Day 2, we went a little deeper, and our job was to take the chunks/sounds/letter combinations we’d found the day before and do something with them. I showed them an example with the -er in my name:
Together we made a list of as many words as we could think of (or find) that had that -er chunk. Along the way a couple of suggestions were made that I knew had /er/ spelled with -ir, -ur and -or, and we saved those for later (that’s more for Days 3 and 4!).
After this inspiration, kiddos did the same thing with whatever part of their name they wanted to work on. Again, some worked alone and some worked with partners, some just wrote words they knew, and some used other resources. It was great to watch how differently each kiddo approached the challenge. As I looked around the room, I saw iPads, dictionaries, and kiddos using classroom text (including the word wall!) to find words that matched their patterns. Students had even more energy and excitement about this job today and spent more time digging in and investigating.
As with our punctuation studies, the focus is not on the activity itself, but on how the learning that comes from it will help us in future situations. Even though we’re only 2 days into this official investigation, there are already glimpses of how kiddos are using this knowledge in other places. In almost every reading group I worked with this week, someone’s name was used to help us figure out other words. We kept adding to a big ‘ole list of words where the letter a sounds like a u (like almost half of kiddos in our class!).
I’m excited to see what happens this week as we continue to use our names to connect to new things!